Doesn’t it really feel like each time you get right into a groove together with your child’s sleep schedule, issues change? It’s true! As your child grows and develops, their daytime sleep necessities change. The excellent news is that the transition from three to 2 naps occurs naturally and is often welcomed by dad and mom. When your child is awake longer, it permits for extra household time and is simpler to get out of the home for appointments, lessons, and visits with household and associates.
We’ve helped numerous households information their little ones by means of this transition from three to 2 naps and are glad to share all of our suggestions and methods with you.
How do I do know if my child is able to drop their third nap?
- Is the final nap of the day getting shorter, or are you working out of time for one in any respect?
- Is it taking your child a very long time to go to sleep for naps?
- Are your child’s naps getting shorter? (Averaging 30-45 minutes)
- Is your child waking up early within the morning? (Earlier than 6 a.m.)
In case your child is round 6-8 months previous, and this stuff are occurring for 2 weeks persistently, it’s seemingly time to make the transition. We suggest ready two weeks earlier than making any vital modifications as a result of, as you realize, many elements can influence a child’s sleep. They could possibly be going by means of a developmental leap, teething, recovering from sickness, or in a progress spurt.
How do I make the transition from three to 2 naps?
1. Begin by rising your child’s awake window by 10-Quarter-hour between naps and bedtime.
This may increasingly not seem to be an enormous deal, however whenever you’re solely awake for a few hours at a time, it makes a giant distinction. We don’t counsel making the change . We wish to keep away from having an excellent overtired and cranky child. Your finish aim is to have your child awake for two.5 – 3.5 hours at a time.
A pattern two-nap schedule appears to be like like this:
- 6 a.m. Awake
- 6 a.m. – 9 a.m. Feed/Playtime/Nap time routine
- 9 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. Nap
- 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Feed/Playtime/Lunch/Nap time routine
- 1:30 p.m. – 3 p.m. Nap
- 3 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Feed/Playtime/Dinner/Bedtime routine
- 6:30 p.m. Bedtime
Right here is one other two-nap schedule possibility:
- 7 a.m. Awake
- 7 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. Feed/Playtime/Nap routine
- 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. Nap
- 11:00 a.m. – 2 p.m. Feed/Playtime/Lunch/Nap time routine
- 2 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. Nap
- 3:30 p.m. – 7 p.m. Feed/Playtime/Dinner/Bedtime routine
- 7 p.m. Bedtime
2. Swap it up.
It’s possible you’ll discover your child is beginning to get drained close to the top of their awake window, however you’ll need them to remain awake for one more 10-Quarter-hour. Now’s the time to change it up. Take them into a brand new room of the home, present them a brand new toy, or take them exterior. However keep in mind, this isn’t the time to do one thing which will lull your child to sleep, like a automobile experience or stroll within the stroller.
3. Be okay with an earlier bedtime.
Most infants who’ve three naps a day will go to mattress between 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. When your child is adjusting to dropping that final nap, they may seemingly want an earlier bedtime. A bedtime as early as 6 p.m. is completely acceptable and can make sure you don’t have an excellent overtired child and an early morning wake time.
4. Maintain your sleep routines the identical.
It’s particularly necessary that you just hold your child’s nap time and bedtime routines the identical throughout occasions of change. In fact, infants don’t know what time of day it’s, however they do acknowledge conduct patterns. These patterns cue your child, in order that they know sleep is coming. Maintain your routines brief and candy; 5 to 10 minutes for nap time routines and 30-40 minutes for bedtime routines. What you select to do throughout this time and the order during which you do them is as much as you. However hold it easy and be constant.
We often counsel the next for a nap time routine:
- Deliver child into their protected sleep area.
- Become cozy garments, if mandatory, and alter their diaper.
- Get right into a sleep sack/sleep bag or swaddle.
- Learn a narrative.
- Sing a tune.
- Say goodnight and place your child into the crib awake.
- Activate the noise machine.
- Flip off the sunshine and depart the room.
5. Be affected person.
It might take your child as much as two weeks to totally transition to 2 naps. Within the meantime, it’s possible you’ll expertise some brief naps and early mornings, however know that this gained’t final eternally.
6. Flexibility is essential.
As a lot as potential, let your baby take the lead. In case your child is eight months previous however doesn’t present any indicators of needing to drop a nap, don’t! In case your child naps two hours at a time, nice! In the event that they solely sleep 1.5 hours, no downside! Issues differ from daily, so be certain you’re watching your child and tweaking your schedule to swimsuit their wants.
In search of extra help?
Bear in mind, infants are all completely different and like to throw curveballs. When you’re battling evening sleep or naps, search the assistance of licensed sleep consultants. We love to assist and supply households with customized help!