A paramedic warns young children not to give chocolate Easter eggs.
Nikki Jurcutz, who runs a children’s safety page called Tiny Hearts Education, has shared a video explaining how mini, solid eggs are a “choking hazard” for kids.
WATCH IN THE VIDEO ABOVE: Paramedic’s warning about Easter eggs.
You can find more parenting news and videos at Parenting >>
“They are hard and round – two massive risk factors for a choking hazard,” the mum-of-two said.
The size and shape of the mini eggs can easily block children’s airways, leaving them struggling to breathe.
“They’re also the perfect size and shape to block off a child’s airway,” she explained.
Nikki recommended that parents buy hollower, larger chocolate eggs for their children to decrease the chance of them choking.
“Hollow eggs (can) easily crumble so they are much safer for your little one to eat this Easter.”
Nikki declared last year that she would only give solid chocolate eggs to her three-year-old children.
“For me it would be once they have their full set of teeth and mature chew,” Nikki said.
“I’ll give them to my five-year-old this year but not my almost three-year-old.
“It comes down to what you’re comfortable with. It’s such a personal choice based on how you feel.”
Her video has been viewed over 330,000 times. Many parents have thanked her for raising awareness about solid chocolate eggs during the Easter season.
“Such a good reminder! I actually witnessed a child choking in the supermarket today, it was so scary,” one said.
Another confessed: “I hadn’t even thought of this! For portion control, I chose smaller sizes. Thank you for sharing!”
One said: “Thank you for sharing this! My children are 8 and 6 years old, and I have never given them small eggs for Easter. They freak me out! We swap for something else if they receive them from elsewhere.”
While one added: “I’m 21 and I’m sure I’ve choked on a mini Easter egg.”
Leave a Reply